Oral Cancer Screening in Havre de Grace, MD
Early detection is a lifesaving protection
The oral exam that could save your life
Did you know that almost 50,000 people get diagnosed with oral cancer every year? The good news is, when caught early, oral cancer is highly treatable.
That’s why, at Union Dental Center, we’re all about prevention. We take a proactive approach to your dental health by doing thorough checkups at every visit, including oral cancer screenings. By catching any issues early, we can help keep you healthy and smiling for years to come.
Give us a call at (410) 939-3950 to stay one step ahead of cancer with early prevention with our Havre de Grace, MD oral cancer screenings. Your health is what matters most to us.
Risk factors for oral cancer
- Heavy smoking and/or alcohol consumption.
- Age over 50 years.
- Infection with the Human Papillomavirus (HPV).
- Excessive exposure to sunlight.
- Family history of cancer.
- Insufficient consumption of fruits and vegetables.
If you live in Havre de Grace and have concerns about your oral health or any other dental issues, the team at Union Dental Center is here to help you. Contact us at (410) 939-3950.
Detecting Oral Cancer
Oral cancer can often go unnoticed in its initial phases, but there are specific indicators to look for. You can perform self-examinations at home and be on the lookout for the following symptoms:
- Persistent discomfort in the mouth, jaw, or neck.
- The presence of red or white spots in your mouth or on your lips.
- Persistent ulcers or lumps that do not resolve.
- Unexplained tooth mobility.
- Swelling, numbness, or tenderness.
- Difficulty with swallowing.
If you experience any of these symptoms, there’s no need to panic. Our cancer screening dentists in Havre de Grace are here to assist you in understanding your condition and determining the next steps.
What to expect at an oral cancer screening
- Initial examination: The screening begins with a clinical examination of your mouth and throat.
- Visual inspection: We’ll use a light, mirror, and tongue depressor to visually examine your entire oral cavity for abnormalities, including bumps, patches of color, ulcers, and swelling.
- Comprehensive assessment: All areas of your mouth are thoroughly examined, covering the roof of the mouth, tonsils, inner cheeks, gums, and tongue.
- Palpation: Our oral cancer screening dentist will palpate your jaw, neck, under the chin, and the outer cheeks to feel for any unusual masses or firm nodules.
- Additional tests if abnormalities are detected: If any abnormalities are detected, your dentist may use a special dye and/or light to further evaluate this area for oral cancer.
Concerned about the cost of our preventive treatments? Questions about your insurance or alternative payment options? Please give us a call at (410) 939-3950.
Why Choose Us
Our team will make you feel at ease, providing exceptional care and ensuring a positive dental experience from start to finish.
Personalized treatment plans successfully address your unique goals and concerns.
We want you to invest in your health without drying up your bank account. We’ll work on a treatment plan that fits your budget.
Prepare to be amazed by our transformative dental treatments. Discover the power of your smile!
“Union Dental has a staff that is extremely friendly! From the front desk to the dental hygienists to the dentists, everyone is helpful and competent! The care is outstanding, and I would recommend them to all my friends and family.“
– Marie B.
Get Started Today.
We’re always welcoming new patients and are here to help. See a dentist in Havre de Grace, MD today.