Eliminate Jaw Pain, Tightness, and Clicking.
What is TMJ?
Your temporomandibular joints (TMJ) connect your jawbone to your skull. This joint exists on either side of your jaw, allowing you to chew and speak normally. When these joints are working properly, you won’t even notice them. However, sometimes people experience pain and other issues with this area of their face. This is called TMJ disorder (or just TMJ or TMD for short).
TMJ disorder is often the result of a misaligned bite, missing teeth, jaw clenching, or teeth grinding. The most common cause for most problems with your TMJ is linked to stress.
Whatever the cause, we can help. Dr. Friedman is the area’s trusted dentist for treating TMJ issues. He continually educates himself on the most up-to-date techniques and is proud to offer compassionate, personalized care here in Havre de Grace.
Do You Have the Symptoms of TMJ Disorder?
- Jaw joint pain or locking
- Clicking sound in your jaw
- Pain while chewing
- Teeth grinding or clenching
- Headaches and migraines
- Ear and sinus pain
- Ringing in your ears
- Neck and/or shoulder pain
- Shocking type of facial pain
TMJ Disorder Treatment Options
At Union Dental Center, we take a personalized and innovative approach to treating TMJ disorder.
We’ll evaluate your symptoms and learn about your medical and dental history, including the location, onset, and aggravating factors of your TMJ pain. From there, we’ll conduct an examination and may take x-rays to see what’s going on.
Based on our findings, Dr. Friedman will outline the best treatment plan for you, which may include:
- Night guards — A night guard is worn like a retainer and will help relax your jaw and prevent clenching and grinding at night.
- Botox — Botox injections can relax your jaw muscles, reducing pain, headaches, clenching, and grinding.
- Occlusal equilibration — This treatment gently adjusts your mouth so your lower and upper teeth meet correctly.
- Physical therapist referral — We may recommend you seek treatment from other specialists, such as an ENT and physical therapist.
- Home exercises — You may benefit from relaxation exercises or lifestyle changes that may be aggravating your symptoms.
- Medications — Sometimes medications can help alleviate a sudden onset of intense pain and may be part of a comprehensive TMD treatment plan which may also include
- Tooth replacement — If needed
Our Office Features…
Welcoming & Friendly Staff
We love to smile and make you smile, too! We want you to enjoy your time at the dentist.
We stay up-to-date on the latest methods for treating TMJ problems.
We help patients on any budget. Ask about our payment and financing options!
Our goal is to help you get rid of pain and discomfort. Our approach is focused on results.
“Union Dental has a staff that is extremely friendly! From the front desk to the dental hygienists to the dentists, everyone is helpful and competent! The care is outstanding, and I would recommend them to all my friends and family.”
Get Started Today.
We’re Always Welcoming New Patients and Are Here to Help.
Schedule a consultation and reduce your TMJ pain!